Friday 20 April 2012

Scrubbing away the evidence

To begin with this series of images which I have called 'Scrubbing away the evidence' these images was inspired by a suggestion by a fellow student because when in discussion regarding my work, and I was saying how hard it was to remove the make up on my skin, and the student suggested that I should show how hard it actually was to remove this make up using photography.

 


This is an interesting image to me because it's grubby and shows how hard the make up is to remove, and I believe this reflects how hard life can be trying to keep up with everything and having to admit failure, because the continual attempt to achieve everything cannot be done.
Furthermore how I have cropped close into the image reflects an uncomfortable situation in using the monochromatic the image has a starkness that is relevant to the work involved in this module.    

 


This is an interesting pose I am not looking my best! This image shows tiredness and a weariness that I feel that many woman feel and only revealed when no-one is looking, and this is could be when one is truly and honestly revealed after all we do when we have worked all day, come home and cooked tea and attempted some housework the jobs continue.

 

This image is very relevant to me because it shows me in a vulnerable pose, on my skin is written a list that I cannot easily remove and I cannot reach only the stream of water can remove these words. Furthermore the positioning of my body does also reflect a vulnerability.

 
This image shows friction, my hand is clenched and scrubbing away at lists that will not be achieved, the aging and unattractive positioning of my body reflects how as a single woman when you are trying to keep on top of everything, not only as a parent attempting to be both father and mother, and working full time, YOU as a person lose your identity and your youth before you have chance to appreciate what you were, the scars of age and neglect are reflected for the viewer to see.

 
   
 Within this series of images I wanted to show femininity as well as a sense of movement, and when using the bowl of water to show a sense of cleansing I was inspired by Mary Magdalene who washed Jesus's feet with her hair, this session really looks at the idea of washing away the marks of sin? Baptism?
My daughter helped by taking these series of photographs and what comes through is the positioning of my body and how the focus of the photographs is looking downwards and reflects an intimacy, this is enhanced by the simple act of washing.



This picture I believe shows having to see the self image and the attempt to free oneself of responsibility by cleansing away the words Reflecting a sense of freedom and hopefully clarity once the words have washed away and yet there is always the implication that words can be washed away and yet meanings remain within the subconscious.  

 
  
This image is has an interesting perspective because its an usual position, due the remove of the head it creates an image that is abstract and yet the element of cleaning is obvious, the homemaker cleans, within Christianity the element of baptism with water is significant, washing away your sins.
The ritual of washing is a constant cycle that extends into the cycle of everyday life.


This moment captured the element of washing away the stresses of life and the mundane, and what interests me is how the viole when wet clearly shows the writing on my skin. There are so many elements within this piece that I personally can attach to elements within my life and I find this photo fascinating.

Jo Spence (1934-1992)

"She challenged the myth of the body beautiful, while acknowledging its power. Admitting her terror, she confronted the phantasmagoria of disease." (Obituary, Independent, 25 June 1992).



The Body is the Hero 1989


   
Spence not only explored the idea of self medication through photography but in a graphical and yet honest way shows the depth of emotions that comes when told you have cancer especially when terminal. My work does not show any level of the type of trauma that Jo Spence's reflected within her photography.
However I do explore private issues that are pertinent to my life and to reflect an honesty and a sense of value to be reflected within the images. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment