Saturday 14 April 2012

Skin and Fabric


This collection of images that I have called 'Skin and Fabric' is a overview of the work I have created throughout this module, each image has been chosen because of an element within them that stands out and of the importance of the piece not just on a personal level, but also what is revealed within the piece.



This is one of the first images that I took at the start of this module, what I find really interesting about this image is the hand pushing into the skin.
The pressure of the hand creates fractured elements of the words. The skin tones reflect the feeling of living and the words shown seem meaningless but to me are a constant non ending stream of issues that are jobs that I when even I do achieve these jobs its like a constant cycle that will never be completely resolved.
Furthermore this is the first session of work that I have created, my daughter helped me by taking the photographs and by writing on my skin using a pen that was fairly easy to remove.
How I have cropped the image make this piece usual and gives a element of almost brutality as if cutting into the skin and by keeping the photograph natural emphasises the intimacy revealed within the snapshot.       

   
This image is shows the reality or rather the honesty of my ageing imperfect body, that is scarred with the writing of these constant list of jobs.
Furthermore the monotone of the image strengthens the starkness of the reality of the body. The underwear that I am wearing was not something I actually thought about at the time, however what I have recognised is that this image reflects that I am not trying to produce beautiful images or attempting to be something I am not. This is a brutal and reflective image because there is not only the lists on the mirror, the lists are still etched onto my skin where the lists had written on and I had attempted to remove this after a shower. Its a important piece that shows how attempting to keep on top of my life is scarring and nigh on impossible. 

   
This image is interesting to me because in monochrome the contrast of the pattern in the fabric that I have used clearly stands out and the writing is clearly shown, furthermore the perspective and how I have cropped this piece has produced an image that is unusual.
The writing that I have used was attempted to be more scriptual and neater it is clearly defined and yet the words do not make sense to the viewer and are only pertinent to me personally.


Within this piece is the writing is clear and tidy and has the essense of a tattoo. The lighting of this piece and how the fabric is covering the flesh obscures what this part of my body this could be, making it an abstracted and unusual image.


This image defines a rumpled, scrunched and messy individual. It is a piece that reflects who I am or rather how I feel at times in my life. This messiness is also how I feel about my faith and spirituality which I do believe is often reflected by many individuals at times in their lives. There is a sense of scarring and damage which is opened up to the viewer, I was influenced to create this piece by the work of Charlie Mackesy, his charcoal work have a grittiness and a open honesty which I found moving.
Furthermore how the arm cuts through the centre of the image strengthens the piece.    



What I find interesting about this image is the colour that overwhelms the picture, and how the arm cuts across the piece. Once again the writing is illegible to the viewer and yet to me they are important and relevant to my personal faith. The image also reflects how I do keep my spirituality covered from the view of the public, not wanting to create any conflict or wanting any ridicule.



The lettering that shows through the voile, can be seen because of the elements of light and dark shows the fabric marks clearly. This photograph was taken during a session that has reflected by comments made by an individual who had not seen my work. This piece could be reflecting my shame? More likely embarrassement.
How I have cropped the image reveals an interesting viewpoint, because hidden beneath the voile is the Lord's prayer my hidden faith.

This particular image does reflect how I was feeling, regarding my faith, my ageing body, and due to how I feel at times struggling with life in general. This image really does reflect this with the blurring essence of the photograph. How I have positioned the camera and myself within the mirror has extended length ways creating a person with no identity apart from the breastplate prayer that looks as if has been etched into the skin.
What is interesting about this photograph is what is reflective within this image is the honestly of how I feel at times as an individual of no substance within my everyday life.


  This image shows my skin with a prayer written on it, the fabric is a see-through type and yet the light when the photograph has taken has given the image a frosted element. This piece has a protected element which is important because I do protect and keep my faith safely locked away from many that know me. 




Vanitas II, 1986 by Helen Chadwick (1953-96)


Helen Chadwick was an incredible artist and she used different elements and she has a heavy sexual emphasis that she has made into exquisite abstracted elements within her work, however viseral. Her work is very different from my own and I recognise that I could not be as aggressively blatent about body issues as Chadwick's work reflected.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment