Wednesday 25 April 2012

Self Portrait


Throughout this module I have created a series of work based on the intimate images of who I am, and writing on myself about the constant battle to achieve everyday ordinary jobs, as well as discussing my faith through text etched onto the skin.
Self portraiture is an area in which many artists explore and within the work I have produced I recognise that the work I have produced is an attempt of self portraiture, an intimate disclosure of certain areas that shape and direct who I am.
The work that is shown is this section that I have called 'Self Portrait' are photographs that are based on the head and shoulder aspects, some of these images have had a mixed reaction, some of the students and tutors appreciate the images or absolutely loathed the pieces as being too obvious, so this sections has been difficult to put together and yet has a place within this module that needs to be discussed, because ultimately in reflection this work does discuss not only feminine issues but also the gaze.
What I mean by the gaze in this section is the gaze in reference of the artist looking out to the viewer as well as the viewers  gaze to the images within this module. It's a two-way viewpoint and the direct imagery of my face is an interesting area to be exploring.




This image suggests that there is a disconnection between the prayer and the individual looking out at not only the pray but also out of the image itself. This is how I feel about my faith I do feel disconnected and yet I desperately would like to gain that connection with my faith.
Furthermore I also feel a disconnection with society, I watch and see individuals living their lives, and yet I have rarely connected with people which at times leaves me with a sense of intense loneliness as well as a sense of freedom.


    

This image is something that attracts me because once again it is taken at an angle by myself and the direct gaze reflected from the mirror out to the viewer, isn't confrontational rather it is a piece that shows the Breastplate Pray and displays a sense of this is who I am and this is where I get strength from.
Another opinion of this particular image as been the representation of death, due to the subdued colours of my skin, and the unblinking eyes, the netting seems to look like a shroud.  



With my hair scrapped off my face I look bald and primative a person that does live to fulfill the 'To Do Lists' and yet there is more a person who never fits in quite in most areas of life, the lists are clothing that covers the reality of someone who will always fight normality that society and life forces on that individual.
The comments this image has created have been fascinating, there has been suggestions of extreme aggression, a skinhead intent on aggression, however the eyes are closed and maybe a removal of any threat. 




This image is of interest because of the neat writing which could have been etched into the skin as well as reflective of a tattoo, a permanent scarring of what life is about and what is important and may be stated as a chore revealed in the words and yet some of these jobs listed are a neccesity part of who I am and what shapes me as an individual. 
What I mean by this statement is that making sure I keep in contact with my parents is of huge importance and is part of what has made me the person I am.




This image has been taken from a session in which my daughter volunteered to being the subject making, something which has only been done throughout this module due to the issues of not crossing a boundary that could exploit Emma.

This image shows how the jobs that I feel that I have to achieve as an adult as an impact on my child, the way the image has been cropped suggests that Emma may be part of the cause of the jobs but she is not the whole reason why I feel that these jobs have to be achieved and yet they are part of the relationship that interweaves between us as parent and child.


  
 
      
This image shows a tired, ageing female individual who wear the Breastplate Prayer as a protective element within their lives, but the facial expression questions that sense of safety.
Keeping the image in colour highlights the connected colour between my hair and the paint used on my skin. The colour of my eyes are reflected in the background colour.
The reason I have chosen this image is because what is shown is a protective stance of a tired, anxious middle-aged woman, which is pertinent to many women passing the a certain age.  
       



This piece is strong and blatent in definition, the eyes opened wide and the text visually bright against the skin, it is a vivid and compositionally is striking and vibrant.
This image only through luck was achieved due, possibly due to the capture of colour within the background that creates the interest, how the light catches certain areas of the skin and hair. The staring eyes which are unflinching as well as the definition of the neck, creates a sense of tension.

  
               

No comments:

Post a Comment